Hiring a professional to build your website costs around $2,000 on average. Any change you need to make after that will require additional payments.
Using a website builder is significantly less expensive. And these days, you hardly need the technical prowess of a designer to create clean, elegant, fully functional websites that are more than capable of presenting your business or blog in a professional light. With simple drag-and-drop design technology, easy-to-use templates, and even algorithmic design programs, the laymen is more than equipped to create their own website.
What to Consider When Choosing a Website Builder Platform
The best website builder is the one that best fits your needs. Ask yourself some of these questions about your new website:
- What type of site will it be?
- What key features do you need?
- Are you running an online store?
- What is the vibe of your business?
Free Website Builders: How Do They Work?
If you just want to build a basic site without an online store, then a free website builder is an excellent way to get started. Most top website building programs listed above offer a free version, which may be enough if you're looking to set up a basic site. However, if you want to upgrade your site, it may be worth investing in a paid subscription so you can take advantage of all the features available. Here are some of the pros and cons of using a free website builder:
- A free website builder could give you just what you need to get started
- Get a professional-looking website without a lot of bells and whistles
- You have the option to upgrade to a paid plan when you outgrow your existing storage limit, need more options, or want particular features
- Free website builder plans come with much less storage and slower load time
- There are fewer practical tools, if any
- Websites built on free plans don’t have their own unique URLs, instead they have the website builder’s name in the URL, for example: yourname.wixsite.com
- Free websites also includes advertising and the branding of the company hosting your page
Other Website Builders We Reviewed
This list of 10 website builders is composed of companies that chose to partner with Top10.com. In total, we reviewed over 30 brands when doing our research into website builders, with new brands being reviewed on a regular basis. Interested in learning about the features, templates and pricing of some big website builders that don't appear on this list? Check out more details about these big names: