*Last updated: December, 2018
Unfortunately, many people don’t even consider this option because they think it will cost more than it’s worth, but this is not necessarily the case. In fact, some background check services offer free searches, discounts, and bulk rate packages, making your quest an entirely feasible option. Not sure where to start, who's for real, and what prices you should be paying? Check out 5 of the best background checking services, along with how much it'll cost you to find out what you really want to know.
- 30+ data points on reports
- 24/7 customer support
- Different types of reports to choose from such as reverse email or reverse phone number lookups, and people searches
- Unlimited searches with your membership
- Can get very specific with your searches
Instant Checkmate’s claim to fame is being the "most popular background check website on the internet," and the sheer volume of traffic to its services is a good testament to this. Instant Checkmate also prides itself on delivering comprehensive reports, so you’ll be able to easily read and understand the results of your searches without explanation.
Reports include standard information (phone number, addresses, etc.) as well as professional licenses, public arrest records, date of birth, marriage and divorce records, traffic records, census data and sex offender registration.
- 3 months for $27.82 per month
- 1 month for $34.78 per month
- Mobile apps for iPhones, tablets, Apple Watches, and Android devices
- Printable PDF reports
- Social media monitoring
- Reverse phone lookup
- Premium upgrade for more in-depth reports (for a fee)
- Easy phone or online cancellation process
BeenVerified is one of the most popular background check services out there, and for good reason. Aside from providing accurate and in-depth search results, BeenVerified offers many features that make using the system as simple as can be. In fact, this company is particularly useful if it’s your first time running a background check, because it’s very easy to use the website and the service is loaded with helpful, instructional material.
Reports include criminal records, phone numbers, relatives, known addresses, email addresses, photos, social media accounts, education records, and bankruptcies.
- 3 months for $14.86 per month
- 1 month for $22.86 per month
- 24/7 customer support
- Great search functionality, which based on little information returns accurate results
- Vast social media account networks
- Address book connections
- Easy cancellation process
- Mobile app that shows spammers, actual names of unknown callers, and photos.
Truthfinder has a different approach to background checks than most other services. Hardly even mentioning the darker side of checks (checking for criminal records, sexual predators, or imposters), Truthfinder highlights the many good things you can do with a background search algorithm like reconnecting with old friends or roommates, finding a parent, or rekindling an old flame. What’s also great about the site is how quickly the results come in.
- 3 months for $13.75 per month
- 1 month for $23.76 per month
- A rating with Better Business Bureau
- Searches based on hundreds of millions of sources
- Convenient mobile apps for iOS and Android devices
- Easy cancellation process
Intelius offers fast results, easy-to-use search functionality, and some of the cheapest premium reports prices around, it’s clear why so many people are switching over to this service. he reports you receive will contain loads of information, including social media profiles (including direct links and recent posts)contact information like phone numbers (current and old), email addresses, and home address, and relevant profile pictures.
- Discounted monthly price: $39.95 per month
- Regular monthly price: $49.95 per month
PeopleLooker is particularly known for:
- Court runners that will physically go down to the courthouse to collect valuable criminal records information that is not available via digital channels
- Fast search results
- Unlimited searches
People like PeopleLooker because it’s friendly site and service to use. Even the color scheme is welcoming. The search form only allows you to perform a single basic people search, but that also makes it easier to use. Just put in both the first and last name of the person you’re searching for along with the last known location, and you can perform a search within minutes.
PeopleLooker reports include information like:
- Traffic violations
- Known relatives and associates
- Basic information like phone numbers, home and email addresses, and age
- Social profiles
- Arrest records
- Bankruptcies filed
- 3 months for $14.62 per month
- 1 month for $18.28 per month
Now You Decide
In general, the basic plans give you enough information for most people to be happy with, never even requiring the upgraded packages. Though, some people who perform checks more often will benefit from the lower price ranges of the longer-term plans.
Background checks have become a regular occurrence, and with so many quality services competing, you can easily take advantage of the affordability that surrounds this industry today. Find that long-lost relative, reunite with an old friend, or keep your children safe with the help of fast, easy, and informative background report services now.
To read more about each of these background check providers take a look at our in-depth reviews.