You can find out a surprising amount about a person from their phone number. At its most basic level, a reverse phone lookup can quickly reveal the identity of scam or spam caller who’s been harassing you. Going deeper, a phone number search is an effective way of running a background check on a potential business partner or employee.
How Reverse Phone Lookup Works
Doing a reverse phone number lookup is quicker and easier than you might expect. You just type in a phone number (landline or mobile) and wait a few seconds for information about the owner to pop up on your screen.
The best phone number lookup services, like the one run by CheckPeople, dig deep into public records from the internet and dark web to find information about the phone number’s owner.
A sophisticated phone number lookup may reveal the following information:
- Full name
- Other linked phone numbers (current and previous)
- Address (current and previous)
- Email addresses
- Social media accounts
- Memberships of organizations
- Education history
- Related people
- Criminal history
- Business records
- Civil reports, e.g. child custody, personal injury, or restraining orders
- Financial information, such as bankruptcies
- Personal assets, e.g. liens, foreclosures, or seizures of property
- Traffic violations concerning collisions, DUIs, or speeding tickets
- Any appearances on sex offender registries
Reasons to Use a Phone Number Lookup
The most common reason people use reverse phone lookup services is to find out the identity of someone who called. There are actually a lot of other good reasons to use a phone number search. The best phone number lookup service for you depends on how much information you need and how often you need to use the service.
Here are a few reasons to use a phone number lookup:
- Find out a caller’s identity. As mentioned, if you receive a call or message from a number you’re not familiar with, you can run a reverse phone lookup to find out the caller’s identity.
- Run a background check on someone. There are many people you might reasonably want to run a background check on, such as a new business partner, employee, or neighbor. A phone number search is the simplest way of scanning through a person’s financial and criminal records to verify they are clean.
- Discover an affair. If you’re suspicious about calls and messages your partner has been receiving or if someone keeps calling your home and disconnecting when you pick up, this could be a sign your partner is cheating (or getting up to some other kind of trouble). A quick phone number lookup will tell you if it’s anything you should be worried about.
- Locate relatives of a person. There are countless reasons you might need to reach out to someone’s relatives. You might be looking for a next of kin to deliver bad news, want to organize a surprise party without tipping off the person, or perhaps a person you urgently need to speak with isn’t available so you want to try their partner or kids. Whatever your reason, the best reverse phone lookup services reveal phone numbers and other contact information for close relatives.
- Find the address of a business. Sometimes you know a business or person only by their phone number. If you need to visit or send mail to that business/person, then a phone number search may be the quickest way of finding their physical address.
Choosing a Reverse Phone Lookup Service
Like most online services, phone number lookup services come in a range of price points–from free to premium.
Free services cap the number of times you can make a search and offer only basic information about a person. They’re useful for occasionally looking up the identity of spam callers but aren’t good for much more. Some free services let you conduct your first phone number search without registering, which is useful if you just need to make one quick search in order to find out the name of a caller who’s been harassing you.
Paid reverse phone lookup services let you make unlimited searches and reveal as much information about a person as they can possibly find. Of course, some services are better at digging up information than others, so it pays to do a comparison shop before choosing your preferred service. The best phone number lookup services cost around $15 to $30 per month.
As an example of what a paid phone number lookup service can do for you, here’s what CheckPeople promises:
- Unlimited searches with one monthly fee
- All your searches are private, confidential and secure–so nobody will know you’ve conducted a background check on them
- Information is drawn from the most recent records available from governments, corporations, social networks, and more
You’ll Have the Power to Discover Anyone’s Identity in a Few Clicks
The internet contains so much information about each and every one of us. While this might cause privacy concerns where our own information is concerned, it also means you can find out anything about anybody with just a few clicks. Our phone numbers have become extensions of ourselves, and as a result knowing someone’s phone number gives you the power to know a whole lot more about that person. If you need to find out someone’s identity or run a quick background check on a person, then a phone number lookup is undoubtedly the best course of action.