In a Nutshell
- Doctor recommended plan
- No cutting out entire food groups
- Plans for diabetics, gluten-free, vegetarian, new moms, seniors
- Relatively expensive
- Shakes, smoothies, bars, and snacks are considered meals
|Medifast at a Glance|
|Best for:||Diabetics, gluten-free, vegetarians, new moms, and seniors|
|Weight loss:||Choose fast weight loss,steady weight loss or maintaining your weight|
|Pricing:||As low as $10/day|
|Special offer:||14 bars + 14 shakes free|
What’s Unique About Medifast?
Medifast’s meal plans have been clinically proven to help people lose weight. But it’s not a one-size-fits-all-solution. There are different plans you can choose depending on your goals and preferences.
But more than losing weight, Medifast is about living a healthy lifestyle. That’s why its meal plans don’t tell you to cut out carbs or fats or any other food group. Instead, your diet will contain the important food groups in the right proportions, which means you’ll get healthy doses of proteins, fats, vegetables, and yes, even carbs.
Medifast’s meals are designed to keep you satisfied and not feeling hungry. Depending on the meal plan you order, you’ll get 4 or 5 meals per day, not your typical 3.
How it Works
Medifast meal plans are available in 14-day kits or 30-day kits, with extra snacks available for purchase. You can get started by ordering your meal kit through the website or by phone.
Weight loss results depend on the meal plan that you follow and, of course, the way your body works.
Medifast offers 3 main meal plans:
- Go!: Designed to deliver significant weight loss, fast. The Go! plan is marketed toward busy people who don’t have time to prepare their own food or follow complicated diets. Go! plans are available in 14-day and 30-day kits. The 14-day kit includes 70 meals and the 30-day kit includes 147 meals. Both kits include 4 bonus gifts. The average weight loss for 8 weeks of Go! is 11 pounds.
- Flex: The Flex meal plan offers weight loss at a more gradual, steady pace. This is for people who are ready to commit to a long-term lifestyle change. There are 3 options for Flex plans: 14-days (56 meals), 30-days (126 meals), and 30-days Complete (126 meals), which includes heart health, probiotic, and digestive enzyme supplements. On the Flex plan, every person loses weight at their own individual pace.
- Thrive Healthy Living Plan: Not a weight loss plan, but a weight maintenance plan. Great for people who have shed the pounds and are committed to keeping them off. Thrive acts more as a meal supplement than actual meals. It contains 3 Thrive healthy fuelings, 2 Lean and Green Plus Meals, and 1 Balanced Meal.
In addition to the 3 classic plans, there are also customized meal plans available for diabetics, people who are gluten-free, allergic to soy or other foods, vegetarians, seniors, and more. If you’re interested in losing weight but need a customized diet plan, Medifast can accommodate you.
All Medifast meal plans are backed by a satisfaction guarantee, which means if you’re not satisfied, you can get a full refund within 30 days.
Variety of Food Offered
With Medifast, you’ll choose from over 65 low-glycemic meals. Each meal is designed to help keep you satisfied and losing weight. There are options for every craving be it sweet, savory, hearty or crunchy. Medifast meals are categorized as either “Daily Lean and Green Meals” or “Healthy Snacks & Condiments.”
1. Daily Lean and Green Meals are comprised of lean proteins and vegetables. The lean food choices are broken down by lean, leaner, and leanest - so you can make informed decisions about what to eat. Lean options include fish, shellfish, turkey, chicken, beef, pork, and more. While many of the lean options are for meat-eaters, there are plenty of vegetarian options as well. Green options include vegetables like endive, spinach, mushrooms, and squash.
2. Healthy Snacks & Condiments keep your meals interesting while losing weight. Healthy snacks are a required treat for anyone on the Medifast Flex plan. Snacks include options you can find at your local grocery store. In addition, a list of condiments lets you decide how to spice up your Medifast meals to keep your diet interesting.
Medifast is not a cheap weight loss solution, though its prices are on-par with similar meal plan diets like Nutrisystem. Medifast also has a loyalty club called Medifast Advantage, which costs nothing to join and awards savings between 5-10% on your next order, plus a $5 flat shipping rate or free shipping, depending on the total cost of your order.
|14-day kit Medifast Advantage||$149||$149|
|30-day kit Medifast Advantage||$329||$299|
|30-day Complete Kit||N/A||$557.80|
|30-day Complete Kit Medifast Advantage||N/A||$399|
The Thrive Healthy Living plan costs $254. To get a price quote for customized plans, you can speak to Medifast customer service.
Help & Support
Medifast customer support is available by phone, email, and live chat during the following hours:
- Weekdays: 8:00 am-11:00 pm ET
- Weekends: 9:00 am-6:00 pm ET
There is an in-site email form and emails are usually answered within an hour if you contact the support team during open hours. The site also has help pages that include information on various topics, including nutritional information and lists of additional allowed foods.
Here’s the Skinny
Medifast offers a variety of meal plans designed to suit the needs of different dieters. When you order Medifast meals, you’re receiving ready-made food, which takes the guesswork out of dieting and saves you time. Find the weight loss plan that meets your needs with Medifast.