During times of uncertainty, when you never know if anything is going to play out the way you planned, it’s always best to have a back-up option.
Luckily, some moving companies will let you store your belongings in case something goes wrong and you need a place for it, or in case your moving-in date is later than your moving-out date.
The Best Moving and Storage Companies in 2023:
- U-Pack - Best moving and storage company overall
- Allied Van Lines - Best for keeping track on shipments with GPS
- North American Van Lines - Best for ensuring workers are trustworthy
- U-Haul - Best for DIY moving and storage
- 1-800-PACK-RAT - Best for local moves
- PODS - Best for low and transparent prices
- SMARTBOX - Best for loading containers without dangerous ramps
- Bekins - Best for international moves and specialty items
- Bellhop - Best for picking and reviewing your own movers
- Wheaton Worldwide Moving - Best for insurance plans
Our 10 Best Moving and Storage Companies - Quick Reviews:
U-Pack has maintained a great reputation in the industry. The rates are extremely affordable and don’t require a deposit for scheduling a move. The company has a pay for what you use pricing policy and offers a free quote service accessible on the website. The company will not assist with local moves, nor does it provide a free lock for your moving containers. The containers are strong and high quality. Overall, U-Pack offers the best prices out of a range of comparable companies and is reliable and secure.
- Multiple sizes of containers and cargo trailers
- Optional guaranteed delivery window of 1-2 hours
- Will charge you only for the space you take in the container
- Doesn't accommodate moves less than 150 miles
- Quick turnaround for loading and unloading required
2. Allied Van Lines
Allied Van Lines offers long or short term storage options, but only at a minimum of 1,000 pounds. This makes it an ideal choice for anybody looking to store a large quantity. The company collaborates with agents nationwide to ensure its services meet customer satisfaction. Allied Van Lines does not include storage with the price of the move but does offer a convenient instant quote service. The company is known for its wonderful customer service and quick response to any customer feedback.
- Both short-term and long-term storage solutions
- GPS tracking on all shipments
- Vehicle relocation is with the company’s own trucks
- Prices are somewhat higher than competitors
- Customer service needs improvement
3. North American Van Lines
Offering climate-controlled warehouses and options for long and short term storage, North American Van Lines is a company that prides itself on providing customers with a range of services. While it can lean towards the pricey side, the company can provide you with 30 days or more of storage. Prices are calculated by weight and length of time, which means no paying for space you won’t need. Overall, North American Van Lines is ideal for anyone making an international or long-distance move, or anyone who likes to have the option of a range of services.
- Satellite-tracked shipments anywhere
- Workers are all background checked
- Helpful website tools for estimating packing and moving supplies
- Some equipment requires third-party services
- Storage options are limited
U-Haul offers large containers for storage for an unlimited amount of time at a monthly fee. Its storage and moving plans combine seamlessly, as well. Simply pack up your boxes and take them to a U-Haul facility where they will be put into a container. Pricing is at the lower end of the industry range. One of the downsides is that there is only one size option for containers, but this is made up for by the wide availability of spaces. A price quote is easily available online, and the company is willing to ship your stuff overseas.
- Climate controlled storage of all sizes
- Ideal for smaller moves
- More fuel efficient than a moving truck which saves expenses
- Some reviews say they have unreliable reservations
- If you want help with moving you'll need to pay extra
1-800-PACK-RAT has over 15 years of industry experience and offers prices comparable to PODS Moving & Storage. Its containers are larger than most companies and have extra-large barn doors, which make packing easier. The company services both local and long-distance moves. To receive a quote for a long-distance move requires calling in and can't be done online. Unfortunately, the monthly storage fees can't be pro-rated, but 30 days of storage and $10k insurance (with the option to purchase more) is included in the base price. A free lock is provided for containers, as well.
- Great for local moves
- Free supplies for long-distance moves
- Flexible change or cancelation policy
- Limited availability
- There's a 30-day minimum on rentals
Portable On Demand Storage (PODS) supplies its customers with three different size options for storage containers and units that are extremely damage resistant, as well as weather-proof. This makes them ideal for flights or any long-distance move. The company services almost every state and offers local moving services, as well. The prices are low, in particular for local moves. PODS offers unlimited loading and unloading time. Bookings must be made by phone and often well in advance, as the company can be fully reserved for up to 6 months. The change and cancellation policy is flexible, providing the option of a full refund in case of a change of plans.
- Unlimited loading and unloading time
- Low and transparent prices
- Flexible reservation and cancellation policies
- Loading services done by third-party services
- Not available in all 50 states
With locations in 50 cities throughout the US, SMARTBOX offers storage services for both local and long-distance moves. SMARTBOX is a smaller company than most on this list, and with limited locations and an eight-foot, wooden container being the only storage option, it does struggle in comparison to the competition. The company is worth looking at for its competitive pricing and great price matching policy.
- Up to eight individual storage containers in a single trip
- Helpful storage calculator on website
- Container can be loaded from the ground level without ramps
- Only one size of the container is currently available
- Insurance options limited
While Bekins does not specialize in storage, the company has a network of third-party agents to store your stuff. This ensures that there's always storage available. The company offers a variety of money-saving options, including discounts and corner-cutting partial plans. While the service itself may not be the cheapest, the discounts and options, as well as perks such as cheap moving supplies, makes Bekins a reliable and affordable option.
- Storage is always available
- Take care of international shipments and specialty items
- 125 years of experience and BBB accredited with A+ rating
- Website is not intuititive
- Some customers reported issues with damage claims
Bellhop originally started out as a moving service for college students, making it a point to take the stress out of moving. Their app is now considered the Uber of moving companies, since the prices are upfront with no hidden fees. You can choose your movers on the app, pay them, and rate them as well. Available in 135 cities, Bellhop is a wonderful solution for those who want to pick their own movers and know exactly who they're getting. Bellhop also offers storing services for people who need to put their things in storage before their move.
- Fixed prices with no hidden fees
- Rigorous process for checking movers
- Build your own service according to what storage you need
- Only available in 27 states
- Specialty items can't be handled
10. Wheaton Worldwide Moving
Wheaton Worldwide Moving is the 4th largest moving and Storage Company in the U.S. The company generally caters to corporations either relocating or expanding, due to their large containers. This makes it both an ideal as well as affordable option for families, as well. The company provides service for both local and long-distance moves and offers a variety of online resources such as tips and checklists to help your move go quickly and painlessly.
- Up to 180 days of storage
- Good insurance and coverage plans
- Some reviewers found items were not handled with care
- Customer service is lacking
How to Take Advantage of Storage When Moving
To make sure you take as much advantage as possible of your storage when moving, here are a few tips and tricks:
- Take inventory of all the items that you have put into storage. This is to help you keep track of your possessions and make sure nothing gets lost.
- Label your boxes. After all, you want to know what’s in them, don’t you? It helps to know where everything is and get something when you need it.
- Pack strategically. Make sure that the items you’re more likely to need are easily accessible.
- Don’t store anything super valuable. Although it’s generally minimal, self-storage comes with a risk, and there are some items you’d rather not take a gamble on.
- Don’t store anything that could spoil, create odors, or attract pests.
Want More Tips for Moving?
Our readers have found these articles helpful when it comes to moving: