In a Nutshell
- Bluehost has been a recommended Wordpress partner since 2005
- Free set up consultation to help webmasters get their site set up
- Managed Wordpress hosting package with more features
- Renewal price jumps after first year
- Wordpress hosting is based on shared servers
- Webmasters seeking to deploy Wordpress-based websites on one of the most seasoned hosts in the industry.
- Wordpress webmasters that want to choose a hosting provider with support resources that have a deep understanding of Wordpress, its community, and its code base.
Why Go With
- Managed Wordpress hosting optimized for Wordpress
- Plans tailored for specific needs including general managed Wordpress hosting, WP Pro (faster servers, better performance under high traffic) and Ecommerce
With Bluehost’s managed Wordpress plans, you don’t need to download the Wordpress script from the internet, install it on a server, or connect and configure the MySQL database. In fact, everything is taken care of automatically thanks to the automated installation process. It’s set it and forget it—for websites!
Build on the World’s Most Popular CMS
Wordpress is not only the most popular Content Management System (CMS) ever built—it also powers almost a third of the internet!
By building a website on Wordpress, users are able to install a vast amount of themes to get the exact look and theme for their website that they want.
Additionally, Wordpress offers:
- A huge selection of free and premium plugins to enhance the CMS’s functionalities
- A thriving user and support community with highly frequented online community forums
- A global network of freelancers, consultancies, and web developers for hire who specialize in building and optimizing Wordpress-based websites.
Wordpress’s massive popularity does come with a few costs, however. For one, as the most popular CMS in the world, it is also low hanging fruit for cybercrooks and those intent on hacking into websites. Webmasters’ best defense against this is to make sure that the Wordpress core is always running the latest version of the script and that all themes and plugins are also upgraded to the latest version.
Bluehost’s managed Wordpress hosting plans make this easy by bundling the ability to quickly and easily configure automatic upgrades.
Create a Staging Environment
The only thing that looks worse than a website that’s been hacked is a website that’s clearly half way through a revamp—but visible for the world to see.
Professional developers have a system for avoiding this and—thanks to Bluehost’s features—hobbyists can take advantage of this technology too. The key is to create a staging version of the website where changes are implemented and tested. Following a quality assurance (QA) process the staging site is ‘pushed to live’ and the ‘production’ (live) site is updated. With this feature, Bluehost Wordpress webmasters can make changes to their websites’ appearance and functionality and only show them to the world once everything is working 100%.
Get Access to the Jetpack plugin
Bluehost has been an official Wordpress partner for a long time. In fact, the pair’s partnership dates back to a time when Wordpress was only just beginning to gain in popularity. For that reason, Bluehost offers Jetpack, an official Wordpress.com plugin, on all its Wordpress Pro managed hosting plans. The Grow tier features Jetpack Premium (offering brute-force attack protection, spam filtering, and downtime monitoring) while the Scale plan includes Wordpress Pro. Jetpack is a terrific plugin for any Wordpress webmaster that wants granular insights into site security and performance — including malware scanning, embedded code scanning, and automatic threat resolution.
Although nothing is going to be as customizable as a website developed from scratch, Wordpress is a great middle ground between building your website with a tool that makes keeping it updated as easy as pushing a few buttons and having things exactly as your design team wants them.
Wordpress can be customized by the following means:
- All Wordpress themes can be customized by editing the files and creating child themes. Child themes will retain the updates that the parent themes get from their developers but the manual changes will not be overwritten.
- Speaking of themes, estimates vary, but there are believed to be more than 30,000 Wordpress themes in existence. That’s a lot of choice!
- Plugins can further edit the appearance and functionality of the stock Wordpress theme. There are currently more than 50,000 Wordpress plugins in existence, although many are licensed on premium or freemium models.
If you’re selling online, then there’s no major payment gateway that doesn’t either work with Wordpress or have an official plugin to make the integration run seamlessly.
Additionally, many Wordpress webmasters opt to install WooCommerce which is an entire framework for running Ecommerce websites on top of Wordpress. WooCommerce integrates with the following payment gateways to allow customers the world over to buy securely from your website:
- Amazon Pay
Wordpress offers a solid basis for those looking to optimize their websites for Search Engine Optimization (SEO) purposes. Wordpress sites tend to rank well in Google—partially because certain features (such as sitemap generation and author-based RSS feeds) are natively built into the Wordpress platform.
Those wanting to take that functionality further often choose to install a dedicated Wordpress SEO plugin such as All in One SEO or Yoast SEO. These allow users to configure advanced SEO settings on a per-post or per-page basis—such as adding nofollow or noindex tags to content.
Customer Support Services
Bluehost’s customer support services are regarded as among the best in the industry and are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Because of Bluehost’s long history of working together with Wordpress, webmasters can rest assured that their support team knows the ins and outs of the platform.
They can be reached by live chat, by support ticket, and by phone. Additionally, the team has put together some extensive helpdesk material in order to allow users to attempt to deal with their own technical issues before reaching out for help.
Review In Short
Bluehost Wordpress hosting is a great way for any webmaster to get up and running with a Wordpress-powered website. If there’s one thing Bluehost and its team gets, it’s hosting sites based on Wordpress. Those using the platform have a plethora of themes, plugins, and other users to reach out to for support—paid or voluntary. Add to that some of Bluehost’s great managed Wordpress specific functionalities such as automatic updates and a staging environment and it’s a winning combination!
Ably commandeered by CEO Suhaib Zaheer, Bluehost is one of the largest companies in the world, although it is a fully owned subsidiary of Endurance International Group (EIG). Over 2 million domains are hosted through it and, according to online estimates, the company has more than 700 employees.