Trello is a dependable task organization and project management software. Its strength lies in its adaptability, simplicity, and ability to enhance team collaboration. But although it's easy to use and works well, you may need more advanced features for bigger tasks.
Imagine project timelines guided by detailed Gantt charts, AI-powered assistants that manage your tasks, and workflow templates tailored just for you. Having the right project management tool can profoundly impact business productivity.
So, let me introduce you to a few Trello alternatives that could elevate your team's productivity.
Our 5 Best Trello Alternatives in 2023:
- monday.com - Best Trello alternative overall
- Asana - Best for coordinating product development
- Jira Software - Best for Agile companies
- Hubspot - Best for sales and marketing teams
- Zoho Projects - Best for startups and small businesses
A Closer Look at the Best Trello Alternatives in 2023
A work operating system (OS) that centralizes tasks, projects, and workflows
- Best for - Teams seeking resource management and strategy planning tools
- Starting price - From $8/user/month
- Storage size - 5GB–1,000GB
- Free trial - 14 days
- Team collaboration tools - Collaborative docs, updates, Zoom integration, whiteboards
- Views - Dashboards, Kanban, timeline, Gantt, charts, calendar
monday.com offers a vibrant and interactive approach to project management, making it a favorite among creative teams. It provides tailored workflows and in-depth project tracking. Plus, it's flexible—you can easily mold your boards to fit your unique processes.
You can also integrate it with Google apps. Directly pull files from your Google Drive and sync your Google Calendar with your monday.com tasks. This unified setup streamlines your workflow, centralizing all your essential documents and schedules for maximum efficiency.
What Makes monday.com a Good Alternative to Trello?
Though I like Trello for its simple visual cards, monday.com has a wider range of building blocks, integrations, automations, apps, and docs to tailor the platform to specific needs. With monday.com, you also get a high-level overview of your organization with customizable dashboards.
- Promotes team collaboration with features like tagging and commenting
- Automation capabilities
- Includes time tracking features
- Some users have reported occasional lags
- Requires a stable internet connection
A comprehensive project management tool with a detailed task hierarchy
- Best for - Teams involved in strategic planning
- Starting price - From $10.99/user/month
- Storage size - Unlimited
- Free trial - 30 days; free plan available
- Team collaboration tools - Real-time chat, status updates, goal tracking, task reporting
- Views - Dashboards, Kanban, timelines, charts, lists, calendar
Asana excels in detailed task management, making it ideal if you love delving into the nitty-gritty of your projects. It's also a practical tool for meticulous planners and doers. Though mastering Asana's timelines or automations can take time, its drag-and-drop tasks and visual portfolios can help your team stay on course.
Asana also integrates seamlessly with over 200 popular apps your team may already use, like Microsoft Teams, Slack, Zoom, and Google Workspace. Plus, its open application programming interface (API) gives developers the freedom to craft custom integrations.
What Makes Asana a Good Alternative to Trello?
Compared to Trello, Asana offers more advanced task management features, such as the ability to create subtasks, set dependencies, and add custom fields. So, I believe Asana can support teams with complex projects. I'd only use Trello for straightforward work organization since its boards show tasks in a simple card format.
- Detailed task hierarchy
- Integrated communication tools
- Advanced functionalities like dependencies and custom labels/tags
- Steep learning curve for new users
- No resource management or budgeting tools
3. Jira Software
A versatile issue tracking tool primarily used by Agile teams
- Best for - Engineering and software development teams
- Starting price - From $7.75/user/month
- Storage size - 250GB–unlimited
- Free trial - 7 days
- Team collaboration tools - Confluence, Bitbucket, goal tracking, task reporting
- Views - Dashboards, Kanban, timeline, lists, scrum boards
Jira Software hosts many task management tools, app integrations, team monitoring features, and collaboration options. Its detailed reports and dashboards can also help you understand and analyze your projects' progress, status, and performance without needing additional tools.
Jira requires technical expertise for advanced customization. But you can find product walkthroughs and demos on the company's YouTube page. Its team of product designers, managers, and engineers discuss the software, provide tutorials, and address customer queries.
What Makes Jira Software a Good Alternative to Trello?
Jira offers integration with software development tools, including repositories, branches, pull requests, and commits. While Trello includes some of these agencies, it may not provide the same level of integration depth as Jira. I was particularly impressed by how Jira's built-in automation can handle complex workflows.
- Includes Agile best practices
- Robust reporting capabilities
- Free forever plan for teams of up to 10
- Limited file storage for free and standard plans
- Lacks an integrated timeline for monitoring project progress
An all-in-one customer relationship management (CRM) platform
- Best for - Organizations focused on content creation and website management
- Starting price - From $20/user/month
- Storage size - Up to 10,000 engagements (notes, meetings, tasks) and 5,000 files/user
- Free trial - Free plan available
- Team collaboration tools - Email integration, shared inbox, real-time chat, file sharing
- Views - Dashboards, lists, pipelines
HubSpot's CRM platform has advanced lead generation, automation, and analytics tools to help you plan and track campaigns easily. These capabilities, combined with meeting scheduling and quote generation, can also optimize your sales project workflows.
HubSpot offers an intuitive drag-and-drop editor, SEO recommendations, and customizable themes. With these tools, you can create and optimize content without needing advanced technical skills.
What Makes HubSpot a Good Alternative to Trello?
HubSpot's AI integration can analyze user behavior to personalize marketing campaigns and optimize content for better engagement. When I tested it with a sample post, it recommended improvements and identified the best times to publish. While Trello excels in task management, it doesn't offer such advanced AI-driven features.
- Data synchronization and quality tools
- Free courses, certifications, and resources
- Comprehensive CRM platform
- Moving data from another CRM to HubSpot can be challenging
- Advanced reporting may require additional tools or integrations
5. Zoho Projects
A project management tool that enhances team collaboration
- Best for - Those working on research projects
- Starting price - From $5/user/month
- Storage size - 100GB–120GB
- Free trial - 10 days; free plan available
- Team collaboration tools - Updates feed, real-time chat, collaborative docs, file sharing
- Views - Dashboards, Gantt, charts, task blueprints, calendar
Zoho Projects is a feature-rich, cloud-based solution that helps businesses organize projects, collaborate, set schedules, plan events, and track and resolve issues. You can integrate it with Google apps, Slack, Dropbox, GitHub, and Zoho's extensive suite of business tools—including Mail, Meeting, Writer, Sheet, and Show.
Zoho Projects also has state-of-the-art security measures in place, such as 2-step login verification for added protection. It adheres to the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework and employs cutting-edge anti-hacking and encryption technologies.
What Makes Zoho Projects a Good Alternative to Trello?
Zoho Projects offers more advanced functionalities like workflow customizations and resource utilization charts, whereas Trello prioritizes a visually straightforward approach. While both tools can boost team collaboration, I prefer Zoho's forums and chats over Trello's card comments for more in-depth discussions.
- Live chat built directly into the user portal
- Intuitive and user-friendly interface
- Has both an Android and iOS app
- Free plan allows for one active project and provides 10MB of storage
- Unexpected updates can disrupt workflows
Trello Alternatives: Unlock a World of Productivity
There's a vast array of tools designed to streamline project management and organization. In this mix, you'll find tools that can enhance team communication, declutter your to-do lists, and facilitate information sharing.
So, spend some time exploring them. Find the one that aligns with your approach, supports your goals, and leaves you with a little extra personal time.