How Onpay Works
OnPay at a Glance
Small businesses, growing businesses, accountants (for small businesses)
$36/month + $4/person
Benefits & HR
401(k), worker’s comp, health insurance
Automatic tax filing
Accounting, time tracking, 401(k), HR, small business lending, business tools
Features and Add-ons
OnPay recently overhauled its platform, adding new features and improving usability while maintaining the same competitive price as before.
- 40+ payroll reports. Filter by employee type, location, or department. View, download, or export in PDF.
- 16 integrations. Includes QuickBooks, Xero, and FreshBooks accounting software, When I work and TSheets time-tracking apps, ABk and Guideline 401(k) software, ThinkHR and PosterElite HR software, Kabbage for small business loans, and Magnify business tools.
- HR tools. Includes automated employee onboarding, state new hire reporting, compliance audits, and tax withholding forms.
- PTO tools. Includes customizable paid time-off policies, automatic PTO accrual tracking, PTO calendar and reminders, email notifications.
- Org charts. Includes visual org chart, detailed employee profiles and contact info, searchable company directory, filtering by location/department/team.
- Benefits. Allows you to add health and dental benefits in all 50 states, other forms of insurance (e.g. life, vision, disability), integrated 401(k) retirement plans, and running a quick employee census.
- Integrated workers’ comp. Includes automatic deductions from payroll, pay-as-you-go policies, low up-front costs, automatic updates when your team changes, support from experienced workers’ comp brokers.
OnPay withholds federal and state payroll taxes and federal and state unemployment insurance each pay run. It files Form 941 quarterly and Form 940 annually on your business’s behalf. The system allows you to pay W-2 employees or 1099 contractors. It is able to handle payroll and tax across multiple states—leaving you compliant whether you operate in 1, 2, or 50 states. The system also allows you to deduct garnishments from net pay with 2 extra clicks.
When it comes to paying your employees, OnPay gives you the flexibility to run payroll as often as you like and to choose between multiple payment types and schedules. It lets you pay by direct deposit, debit card, or check—and there are no extra fees for selecting any of these options. It lets you set more than one pay schedule for your company—again with no added fees for doing so. Most OnPay users are subject to a 2-day turnaround for payroll.
The OnPay platform recently underwent a design overhaul, and the end result is that it is now easy to use and very easy on the eye. The platform is easy to set up, and very intuitive where both your business and employees are concerned. The dashboard is visually appealing and easy to navigate, especially on desktop. It’s simple to use on mobile too, although some customers have reported having issues with speed when accessing from mobile.
Employees can log in to the system to download all their forms and access details of previous pay runs, saving your HR team the trouble of doing this for employees. It’s also super simple to adjust an employee’s paycheck or frequency.
One of the best things about the system is the customer support. While the OnPay platform is very intuitive, you can turn to a trained customer support rep at any time if you have any issues or need help with setting up a new feature.
Pricing & Special Offers
OnPay has a simple pricing model of $36 per month plus $4 per employee per month. This puts it toward the lower end of the pricing scale for payroll platforms (which range from around $25-$80/month and $4-$5/employee per month). With OnPay, there are no other hidden fees to worry about.
The subscription fee covers everything (except the cost of third-party software, of course). That means you can start small and add features as you go, while all the time being able to rely on OnPay’s trained customer support professionals for help with integrating and adding new functionalities.
There are no limits to the number of pay runs and pay types, which is great if you’re running a fast-growing business or have a mix of employees and contractors.
OnPay offers a comprehensive payroll service at a competitive price. It caters to small businesses, and works particularly well for fast-growing businesses looking to add-on employees while keeping payroll running seamlessly. With payroll, tax compliance, and benefits across all 50 states as well as numerous added features and benefits, OnPay offers reliability and added value.