How IDShield Works
IDShield monitors your credit reports, social media accounts, public records and more, and notifies you of any unusual activity or changes. It also scans the dark web and alerts you to potential changes or misuse of your data. There’s no need to download any software to use IDShield. Simply choose your plan, download the IDShield app, and set your alert and notification preferences. IDShield will do all the rest.
What Does IDShield Watch Out For?
IDShield offers a choice of one-bureau credit monitoring (TransUnion) or three-bureau credit monitoring (TransUnion, Equifax, Experian). All the following monitoring services are automatically included, regardless of which plan you opt for:
- Continuous credit monitoring: Monitors up to three credit bureaus, depending on the plan, alerting any changes along with a complete view of credit standing.
- Dark web surveillance: Monitors the portion of the internet not accessible via normal browsers and notification when your ID is found to have been sold or misused.
- Bank account monitoring: Notifies you of fraudulent transfers from your bank accounts as well as any large monetary movements set by the user for financial accounts like savings, checking, credit, 401k, loans, and more.
- Payday loan monitoring: Notifies you if your ID is used to take out high-interest payday loans.
- Court records and bookings: Notifies you if anyone is using your identity for court or criminal proceedings.
- Social Security number monitoring: Checks for any unusual use of your SSN.
- Social media monitoring: Checks for any unusual activity associated with your and your dependents’ social media accounts.
- Sex offender alerts: Notifies you if a registered sex offender moves into your neighborhood.
- Address change: Monitors your home address with the USPS and sends alerts for changes.
- High-risk application monitoring: Monitors new account applications to detect potentially fraudulent accounts.
- Minor child monitoring: Monitors Social Security number for up to 10 dependent children under the age of 18 in family plans.
- Sub-prime monitoring: Monitors rent-to-own, buy-here-pay-here auto dealers, title pawn, and sub-prime loan applications.
- Telecom monitoring: Scans records to ensure your phone number isn’t being redirected.
- Medical data reports: Receive reports on your medical information to review for fraudulent information.
- Credit score tracker: Keeps an eye on changes to your credit score with a 12-month historic view of your credit trends.
- Personal internet monitoring: Scans the internet to see if your Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is found online.
- Public records monitoring: Monitors reports of public records such as business licenses, vehicle registrations, residences, lease history, property deads, and more for your personal information.
- Username/Password credentials monitoring: Monitors the internet for instances where your unique username and password combination have been exposed.
What Can IDShield Do If My Identity Is Stolen?
Recovery services are where IDShield really stands out from the crowd. While most ID theft protection providers offer identity theft protection coverage and assistance, IDShield goes one step further with unlimited identity restoration services and access to in-house Licensed Private Investigators.
Here’s the full breakdown of IDShield’s recovery services.
- Unlimited consulting – advice on past, present, and future cases of identity theft.
- Unlimited identity restoration services – assistance with all future cases of ID theft, no matter how many times it happens to you.
- Access to in-house licensed private investigators – IDShield’s licensed investigators work to repair the damage caused by identity thieves and help you develop a plan to prevent future ID theft.
- $1 million identity theft protection coverage – reimburses you for out-of-pocket costs that you incur while resolving identity theft incidents.
LegalShield's Licensed Private Investigators’ credentials include:
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) Certified
- Certified Identity Theft Risk Management Specialist (CITRMS)
- Certified Credit Scoring Specialist (CCSS)
- Certified Credit Report Reviewer (CCRR)
As part of the restoration process, the assigned Licensed Private Investigator will:
- Organize details of open identity theft issues and search for other instances of identity theft.
- Review your credit history and verify if fraud includes items such as:
- Public records (liens, judgments, bankruptcies)
- Credit accounts (new and/or derogatory)
- AddressesoPrior employment
- Explain your rights, process, and responsibilities involved.
- File fraud alerts and disputes with reporting agencies and creditors as needed.
- Obtain a Limited Power of Attorney authorization, which allows the investigator to take action on your behalf. Authorized as a Limited Power of Attorney, IDShieldcan then:
- Issue a fraud alert to all three credit bureaus.
- Notify the Social Security Administration (SSA).
- Notify the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
- Notify the U.S. Postal Service (USPS).
- Work directly with financial institutions and credit card companies to resolve any disputes.
Throughout the restoration process, the Licensed Private Investigator will provide status updates to ensure your identity will be restored to its pre-theft status.
How Easy Is IDShield to Use?
Protecting your private information is simple. IDShield auto-monitoring services give you immediate coverage of the following personal data directly upon enrollment:
- First and Last Name.
- Date of Birth, Address.
- Full SSN or last 4 SSN.
IDShield is turnkey, best used via the IDShield mobile app, available on iOS and Android devices. The IDShield mobile app gives users easy access to their benefits on the go. The app includes the following features:
- Secure biometric or passcode login
- Easily track and edit your monitored information
- Option to turn on push notifications to your phone whenever you have a new alert
- Main dashboard to quickly see your credit score and the latest alerts
- Information and advice on preventing and protecting against identity theft
- Monthly credit score tracker
- Support phone numbers for identity theft investigation and restoration
- 24/7 emergency assistance availabe at the touch of a button
IDShield Customer Support
In the event of an emergency, you can just jump on to the IDShield app and call the emergency services team. If your ID has been stolen, IDShield will connect you with one of its in-house Licensed Private Investigators. Judging from customer reviews, IDShield’s recovery specialists handle emergencies promptly and efficiently most of the time.
IDShield offers a choice between four plans: individual with 1-bureau or 3-bureau credit monitoring, or family with 1-bureau or 3-bureau credit monitoring. As we mentioned above, all recovery and monitoring services are automatically included in each plan. 1-bureau plans give you access to your TransUnion credit report online and 3-bureau plans provide and monitor your credit report from TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian. Individual plans cover only yourself while the Family plan option protects your entire family too (you, your spouse, or domestic partner, and up to 10 dependent children). All other IDShield benefits are the same, regardless of which plan you choose.
Pricing is on a per-month basis with no possibility of an annual discount. All new users automatically get a 30-day free trial, with billing beginning from the second month onwards. The good news about paying on a month-by-month basis is that you can cancel at any time.
Individual – 1-bureau
Individual – 3-bureau
Family – 1-bureau
Family – 3-bureau
How IDShield Compares to Other ID Theft Protection Services
Individual starting price
2 Adults + 10 kids
2 Adults + 5 Kids
2 Adults + kids
Three credit bureau monitoring
Malware Protection, VPN & Password Manager
Social media monitoring
Reputation management& score
Unlimited identity consultation
In-house Licensed Private Investigators
**(Up to 40% increase on price for the second year for some plans)
In a competitive ID theft market, IDShield stands out for its recovery services. If it’s just monitoring and alerts that you’re after, then you get the same service at a lower cost elsewhere. But if you want the peace of mind of knowing that a team of Licensed Private Investigators will have your back in the unfortunate event that your ID is stolen, then IDShield is worth your consideration.