In a Nutshell
- Daily credit score and report updates
- Email alerts of critical changes to credit report
- Lets you lock/unlock your TransUnion & Equifax credit reports
- It isn’t actually free
- You can get the same service direct from TransUnion
A Brilliant Solution For:
- Anyone planning to take a mortgage or other loan in the next few months
- Anyone looking for help with building their credit score
How Does it Work?
GOFreeCredit.com gives you access to TransUnion’s suite of credit monitoring tools. The registration process begins on the GOFreeCredit.com website. After filling in your details, you’ll be redirected to the TransUnion credit monitoring site to enter your payment details and complete the process.
Once you’ve registered, you’ll be assigned login details which you can use to access your new TransUnion credit monitoring account. There’s no need to download any software or do anything complicated. To access your account, simply log on from any browser on your desktop or mobile.
What Does This Service Watch Out For?
This service specializes in monitoring your credit scores and reports. If you need to keep tabs on your credit file, then GOFreeCredit.com and the TransUnion credit monitoring service will help you do so.
Here’s what’s included:
- Daily updates of your TransUnion score and report
- Email updates of critical changes for all 3 bureaus (TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian)
- Instant email alerts as soon as someone applies for credit in your name
- Personalized debt analysis, with detailed description of your debt and accompanying strategies for boosting your credit score
- CreditCompass tool, which shows personalized recommendations to help you improve your credit score
- Credit score simulator, which shows how future actions or events may impact your credit score
Recovery Services - What Can GOFreeCredit.com Do If My Identity Is Stolen?
Although GOFreeCredit.com and TransUnion deal mainly with credit monitoring, they do also provide some recovery services. These services could prove very useful if someone steals your identity and/or tries to use your identity to take out credit products.
The following recovery services are included:
- Ability to lock and unlock your TransUnion and Equifax credit reports (but not your Experian credit report)
- Unlimited toll-free access to TransUnion ID theft specialists
- Up to $1 million ID theft insurance
How Easy Is GoFreeCredit.com to Use?
Unfortunately, GOFreeCredit.com doesn’t properly explain the link between its service and TransUnion’s credit monitoring service very clearly. However, as long as you understand that GOFreeCredit.com is merely a reseller for TransUnion credit monitoring—and that the service you are paying for is actually TransUnion’s, then there aren’t any other issues to worry about. Not only is the service simple to use, but it also gives you flexibility. You can log in daily to monitor your TransUnion credit report and score, or sit back and wait for any alerts related to your credit files.
GOFreeCredit.com charges $1 to access TransUnion credit monitoring service’s 7-day ‘free’ trial. Once the free trial expires, the charge is $19.95/month paid directly to TransUnion. There are no contracts, and you may cancel your subscription at any time.
Help & Support
GOFreeCredit.com doesn’t offer much in the way of customer service aside for an email address (info@GOFreeCredit.com). Judging from customer reviews, don’t expect GOFreeCredit.com to respond quickly (if at all). If you have issues related to the service itself, we recommend contacting TransUnion directly. As mentioned, the service includes unlimited toll-free access to TransUnion’s ID theft specialists. Contact details can be found by logging into your account.
The GOFreeCredit.com website can be a bit misleading, in that it presents itself as a standalone service. The truth is the only reason to use GOFreeCredit.com is because it makes it easy and convenient to sign up for TransUnion’s credit monitoring service. After you register, you become a customer of TransUnion and not of GOFreeCredit.com.