In a Nutshell
- High speeds across over 500 servers in 50 countries
- Strong data-protection
- Can be used on unlimited devices
- Availability for Windows clients still in beta phase
- 1-month subscription is costly
Surfshark at a Glance
Best for: Multiple devices and all levels of VPN users
Prices: $11.95 per month, $5.99 per month for a 12-month subscription, $1.99 per month for a 24-month subscription.
Location: 50 countries, 500+ servers
Netflix: Unblocks US Netflix
Torrenting: Torrenting and P2P allowed
Logging: No logging policy
Number of Devices: Unlimited
Operating Systems: iOS, Android, MacOS, Chrome, Firefox, Linux and Windows (beta phase).
Browser Extensions: Chrome, Firefox
Because of where the company is based, it is not impacted by data-retention laws, therefore, it is easily able keep its commitment to not store logs of users’ browsing history.
In terms of security, Surfshark matches the best VPNs on the market. The service does not compromise on speed by using a combination of the IKEv2 security protocol and AES-256-GCM encryption. A huge advantage that this VPN provider offers is that iOS users will not have problems with their battery life even while retaining all its security features. Other VPNs are struggling to keep up smartphone battery life while still providing high levels of security.
Whichever package you choose, the features on Surfshark remain the same. The only difference between the 3 packages is the price. Here is the list of features for Surfshark VPN:
- The VPN has over 500 servers spread across 50 countries
- You can add unlimited devices without speed or security being compromised
- The service has MultiHop, which uses a double VPN chain to hide online activity
- Surfshark has a kill switch that will automatically switch off your VPN connection if it is compromised
- It has CleanWeb, which ensures that all malware, trackers and ads are blocked
- Your online activity cannot be monitored with IP masking
- Your data cannot be stolen or misused thanks to strong data encryption
- The VPN also has a strict no-logging policy. This means that your data is not saved and so will not be used by corporations or governments
- Even if you are using public WiFi, you will still have complete privacy
- You are also protected from DNS leaks with Surfshark
- To increase privacy, Surfshark allows you to use TOR along with their service
Surfshark offers its users ultra-fast speed. When we tested this claim, we found it to be largely true. Without using a VPN, the base speed was about 60 Mbps.
Internet speed using Surfshark for various locations was:
When the VPN was set to a server in Italy:
- For its European server, the average speed was between 45 to 50 Mbps
- Servers in the United States gave lower speeds of between 20 to 25 Mbps
- Speeds were between 10 and 20 Mbps in Australia and New Zealand
These are still excellent speeds compared to other VPNs. However, the service is still new, so it remains to be seen whether the company is able to maintain these levels of speed as its user base grows.
Pricing and Deals
You can choose from 3 different subscriptions:
Surfshark’s 24-month subscription at $1.95 per month is one of the cheapest on the market today, whereas the provider’s monthly subscription service is one of the most expensive.
Each plan has a 30-day money-back guarantee, allowing for great flexibility. You also have various billing options: credit card, Alipay, PayPal and cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Ether, and Ripple.
Depending on which part of the world you are located, torrenting can either be a grave offence or something that is simply overlooked. However, with Surfshark, you don’t need to worry about that. Both Torrenting as well as P2P sharing are supported by Surfshark. All you need to do is connect to the location you prefer and access any website you want. If you connect to Surfshark while running a P2P program you will be automatically routed through its servers in the Netherlands or Canada.
One of the main selling points for Surfshark is that it promises that you can access US Netflix. Unlike Surfshark, other VPN providers, such as NordVPN and ExpressVPN, have not been able to consistently unblock Netflix US.
Besides HotStar in India, Netflix France and Netflix US, this provider also lets you stream BBC iPlayer and Hulu.
At this point, Surfshark is still a new entrant in the market and so has stayed under the radar, especially for popular platforms like Netflix. Therefore, once again, as the provider’s user base grows, it remains to be seen whether the service will successfully continue to unblock such popular sites.
The client setup is so simple, even a person using VPN for the first time won’t have trouble with it. It is laid out so cleanly and logically, that navigating between various areas of the platform is easy. Surfshark has also ensured that the look of the client interface remains the same no matter what kind of device or platforms you are using.
All you need to do is download the application to your browser or device and follow the simple prompts.
The Surfshark app is compatible with multiple platforms such as Windows (still in beta), MacOS, iOS, FireTV, Android and browser extension for Chrome and Firefox.
Because Surfshark for Windows is still in beta, it is still a question mark as to how well it will perform in the future.
How Does Surfshark Compare?
Surfshark’s customer service is outstanding. The service levels are apparent from the moment you enter the company’s website. You have a team available 24/7 on live chat and email.
Support for any problems you may face is also prompt. You usually get a resolution within a few hours.
Additionally, Surfshark is working on creating a knowledge base on its website.
However, with only 35 articles in the FAQ and other categories, it is not yet a big library.
Ease of Use
Surfshark is one of the easiest VPNs to use. The home screen is simple with one button that is used to connect to and disconnect from the server. If you want to see the settings on your VPN, just click the gear-shaped icon on the top right of the
screen. There is quite a long list of features that can help you optimize your VPN experience.
The FAQs section has a lot of useful information. Some of the most commonly asked questions are:
Q: What speed can I expect with Surfshark’s VPN? Are there any bandwidth limitations?
A: Surfshark does not set limits on speed, bandwidth or data. However, if you experience slow speeds or have any performance issues, you can try the following:
- Try a different country servers
- Reboot your computer or mobile devices
- Reboot your router/modem
- If you are using WiFi, switch to a wired internet connection
- Ensure that the latest accessible device drivers are running on your device
- Try disabling the firewall or remove any unnecessary rules
- Close any application for data transfer running in the background
If you continue to experience problems with speed or performance, contact the customer success team.
Q: How can I confirm my connection was successful?
A: When you connect to one of Surfshark's servers, check your connectivity status on ipleak.net and confirm that you are seeing our IP address and not your own. This means your real IP address is hidden and there are no DNS leaks.
Q: How do I set up a VPN on my Smart TV or console?
A: Unfortunately, Smart TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and other video game consoles do not support integrated VPN functionality. However, you can enjoy the benefits of Surfshark by setting up your router with a VPN or sharing the VPN straight from your computer.
Surfshark is a VPN that works really well with the basics. You get to surf at super-fast speeds and get past most geolocation restrictions with complete safety provided by multiple layers of encryption and security. You will also get the best value for money if you opt for the 2-year subscription.