In a Nutshell
- Access multiple housekeepers in one place
- Read reviews from other users
- Care.com hosts numerous resources
- Pricier than other similar services
- Free version very limited
- Background checks are a separate cost
Care.com at a Glance
Cleaning Services Offered
Care.com is a marketplace for caregivers and housekeepers, so types of services and pricing will be determined by the house cleaning pro that you choose. However, with a vast network of professionals offering a range of services, you’ll likely find what you are looking for. Here are some types of cleaning services advertised by Care.com house cleaning professionals:
- Routine or basic cleaning involves tidying up and light housework. Some tasks included are sweeping and mopping, wiping down counters, vacuuming, and cleaning toilets. Routine cleaning is best for scheduled, return house cleaning. On Care.com, you can find regular house cleaners and member reviews to base your decision on.
- Deep cleaning is good if you haven’t tidied up in a while. This more strenuous and complete cleaning service will include tasks that don’t usually get done, such as scrubbing tile grout or cleaning underneath furniture and appliances. If you haven’t cleaned in a while and plan on hiring regular help, it is recommended to do a one-time deep clean before beginning a house cleaning routine.
- Move-in/move-out cleaning services are pricier than the previous categories but may be necessary if you are moving house. Whether you're preparing a home for sale, or are moving into a new place, it's a good idea to give your house a serious cleaning, including wiping down walls and doors, and cleaning inside closets and cupboards when they are empty.
Professional house cleaners listed on Care.com may be available for other types of house cleaning services. With thousands of cleaning pros and agencies posted on the site, you will likely be able to find the right person for the specific job. For example, if you are looking for house cleaning using non-chemical products and eco-friendly supplies, specify this requirement, and house cleaners fitting this description will reach out to you.
Equipment and Supplies
While most house cleaning agencies supply any equipment or supplies required, individual house cleaners may request that customers provide these. If it’s important to you that the cleaner brings everything needed, just include that in your job description, and professionals that meet your criteria will reach out to you directly. On the other hand, if you prefer supplying cleaning products yourself, for example, to ensure that they are all-natural or non-corrosive for more delicate items, then tell your chosen house cleaning service provider that they don’t need to bring anything.
House cleaning services listed on Care.com will cost an average of $14.25 per hour. However, this can be higher or lower, depending on the service that you are receiving. For example, deep cleaning will be more expensive than basic routine cleaning.
Using Care.com also has a cost. While there is a basic free membership, this is limited to posting jobs, refining searches, and viewing reviews. If you want to interview candidates, you’ll need to upgrade to a paid membership.
Premium Membership costs $39 for a single month, $78 for 3 months, or $156 for 12 months. Of course, as an employer, you won't need the service indefinitely. Once you have found the right house cleaner or house cleaning service for the job, you can cancel your subscription.
Aside from membership, Care.com offers a separate background check service. Before bringing a potential cleaner into your home, you may want more information about them. Depending on how much information you are looking for, the background check could cost as much as $300.
Caregivers who post on Care.com must also pay membership fees. For an additional fee, those looking for work can include a background check with their profile or pay to be more visible to potential clients.
“I think it a great service for people in need of assistance with their loved ones or themselves, pets, cleaning, etc... it is also great service for those seeking work!” - Terrie from Harrodsburg, KY
“Great customer service every time I've used Care. That's why I keep coming back!” - Ashley from El Cajon, CA
“I am a person that get confused easily and I always have to press Help and I always help the way I expected!” - Marianna from Madison, NJ
“Care.com has done the work and laid out the road map for facilitating/networking and navigating the care business.” - Regina from Lilburn, GA
Care.com is a matching platform for care providers and care seekers. Since the online marketplace doesn't employ professionals in their network, any work guarantees are provided by the house cleaner or other service provider independently. It's also important to know that Care.com doesn't vet professionals listed on their site; this is the customer's responsibility.
Other Services Offered
Care.com is a digital platform offering an array of care services to families requiring assistance. Caregivers can also advertise their services for hire. This both provides employment opportunities and empowers employers to find the best care professional for their unique situation. Care.com helps families choose by hosting a robust suite of resources, safety tools, cost calculators, and tax or payroll services. Care.com also offers special packages for enterprise clients.
Care.com is an easy-to-use platform that lets people seeking house cleaning help connect with local professionals and access a robust array of helpful resources. While there's a free version of the service, users who want more capabilities, or who want to perform a background check on a potential candidate, will need to upgrade to a paid membership or pay a separate fee.