In a Nutshell
- Compare and apply to multiple lenders in one place
- Understand each lender’s minimum requirements and selling points
- LendingTree has 20+ years’ experience as a loans marketplace
- Not a direct lender
- Lenders have fairly high minimum credit requirements
LendingTree at a Glance
If you have one or more student loans and are still years away from paying them off, LendingTree is a good place to start. LendingTree enables anyone to do in a couple of minutes what it can take most people hours to do on their own: compare student loan refinance providers according to rates, terms, minimum credit score, and other factors.
Firstly, it’s important we emphasize that LendingTree is not a direct lender. Rather it is a marketplace that lets users compare lenders.
Here are the highlights of LendingTree’s student loan refinance comparison tool:
- Features 9 trusted nationwide lenders that have been vetted and approved to join LendingTree’s network.
- APRs, terms, loan amounts, and minimum credit score are clearly displayed, making it easy to compare lenders.
- Each lender has a “View Details” button that lets you see more information about the lender, such as features and minimum requirements.
- “Apply Now” button next to each lender to apply for a student loan refinance directly on that lender’s website.
- Free educational tools and resources, including a student loan refinance calculator to help you calculate monthly payments and total interest paid.
The Application Process
When it comes to most types of loans, such as mortgages, personal loans or business loans, LendingTree makes visitors to its website fill out a short online form to see rates. But when it comes to student loan refinance, LendingTree doesn’t require anything at all. Anyone can just log in to LendingTree’s student loan refinance page and see a comparison of trusted lenders. If you see a lender you like on the list, simply click “Apply Now” to be taken to that lender’s website where you can complete an application.
Each lender sets its own requirements. Here are some of the things LendingTree’s partners expect of student loan refinance applicants:
- US citizen or permanent resident
- At least 18 years old
- Live in one of the 50 US states or the District of Columbia
- Minimum credit requirements vary from 660+ to 680+ across the various lenders
- Debt-to-income ratio that demonstrates an ability to repay the loan
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from one of the lender’s approved post-secondary institutions
- Holder of private or federal student loan(s) that are not delinquent or in default
- History of paying current student loans on time.
- Able to provide a loan statement for each loan that is up for refinance
LendingTree currently works with 9 lenders in the student loan refinance space. Each lender sets its own requirements. The following are the main features you can expect to find across LendingTree’s partnering lenders:
- Completely online application process
- Combine all your existing student loans into 1 monthly payment
- Can be used on private, federal, undergrad, graduate school, or Parent PLUS student loans
- Minimum loan amounts range from $5,000 to $10,000 across the various lenders
- Maximum loan amounts range from $120,000 with one lender to no max with several lenders
- No application or origination fees
- No prepayment penalties
- 0.25%-0.50% rate discounts when using autopay to make monthly payments
- Deferment, postponement, or forbearance options available for when you can’t make payments due to unemployment or other reasons
- Some of the lenders offer referral programs with rewards for every customer you refer
- One of the lenders promises that for every loan it funds, it will also fund the education of someone in need
- Some of the lenders have a cosigner option
Most of the lenders in LendingTree’s network offer a choice of fixed or variable rates. The absolute minimum APR shown for a fixed-rate student loan refinance is 3.39%. For variable rates, the lowest introductory APR is 2.13% and the highest is 11.50%.
Borrowers can find the following loan terms through the participating lenders: 5, 7, 8, 10, 12, 15, or 20 years.
How Safe Is It?
LendingTree’s platform is perfectly safe to use. It costs nothing to use LendingTree to find a student loan refinance provider and you won’t be asked to provide personal details at any stage. Of course, if you select a lender from LendingTree’s list, you will be required to give the lender sensitive information in order to apply for a refinance. As you’d expect, LendingTree conducts thorough vetting of all the lenders it works with.
Help & Support
LendingTree is a mainly online service. However, it does offer customer service, as well as useful FAQs, tools, and resources, to help you understand the best way to refinance your student loans.
Phone: During extended business hours Monday to Friday and extended hours on Saturday.
Email: Direct contact form on LendingTree’s website.
If you have multiple student loans you’d like to refinance, LendingTree is a good place to begin. LendingTree’s online loans platform lets you easily compare the best student loan refinancing providers in the business. If you find a lender you like, just click the “Apply Now” button next to complete your application and get yourself closer to freeing yourself of your student debt.
11115 Rushmore Dr.
Charlotte, NC 28277