In a Nutshell
- High maximum refinancing amounts, up to $250,000
- No application or origination fees
- Maximum loan terms is only 15 years
- Little clear information about minimum credit scores and income
College Ave ID Card
|Loan types||Private loans, refinance loans|
|Loan amount||$2,000 to $250,000|
|Repayment Terms||8 to 15 years|
|Top Pro||Flexible repayment plans give customers freedom|
|Top Con||Does not service its own loans|
|Best for||Nationwide members, graduates looking for flexible repayment schedules|
College Ave at a Glance
College Ave offers flexible private undergraduate and graduate student loans, parent loans, and refinancing options for student loans. The terms are flexible with a choice of repayment terms, fixed or variable interest rates, and the option to delay making full payments for up to 2 years. There are no origination or application fees, cosigners are accepted, and application is fast, simple, and entirely online. You can cover as much as 100% of your student loan debt to a maximum of $150,000, or $250,000 for graduates of medical, dental, veterinary, or pharmacy degrees.
- Borrow up to $250,000
- Choose your repayment term between 5 and 15 years
- Pay only the interest for up to 2 years
- Fast, simple online application
- No application or origination fees
College Ave’s extra discount offer for Nationwide members means that it’s ideal for graduates who also have a checking or savings account with Nationwide. The high loan refinancing amount for regular graduates, and even higher maximum loan amount for medical, dental, pharmaceutical and veterinary graduates, make it a good choice for anyone carrying a particularly high amount of student debt. It’s also an excellent choice for graduates who can’t afford to make large, regular payments immediately, but hope to land a well-paying job in the near future, since you can choose to make interest payments only for the first 2 years rather than jumping straight into full monthly payments.
College Ave's biggest feature is its ease of use. The application process is simple, and approval comes quickly. It also offers a large amount of flexibility for refinancing student loans, since you can choose any term between 5 and 15 years and decide between starting full payments immediately or taking advantage of a 2-year grace period during which you only pay the interest. You can also choose fixed or variable interest rates. Interest rates are low and borrowers who use auto-pay and are also members of Nationwide get an extra 0.50% off. College Ave refinances both private and federal student loans and offers refinancing with or without loan consolidation. Finally, application is free with no application or origination fees to pay.
- No application or origination fees
- Choose between immediate full payments or 2 years paying interest only
- Flexible repayment terms from 5 to 15 years
- Fast and simple application process
- Fixed and variable rates
- Save 0.25% on your interest rates using auto-pay
- 0.25% reduction in interest rates for Nationwide members
- Refinance or consolidate student loans, or do both
The Application Process
Applying for student loan refinancing with College Ave is fast and entirely online. You’ll just need to fill out a simple form to provide information about your current employment, the school you graduated from, and other basic personal information. It takes about 3 minutes to apply, and you'll get an instant response with a range of rates and fees for you to review and choose whether or not to proceed.
College Ave accepts both federal and private student loans for consolidation and refinancing and permits you to apply with a cosigner for a better rate. Before applying to refinance federal loans, you should bear in mind that, like with all private refinancing options, you could be giving up federal loan benefits, such as public service forgiveness and economic hardship programs.
Loan Terms - Essentials
To apply for student loan refinancing, you need to have at least $5,000 of student loan debt and have studied at one of the eligible Title IV schools listed on the College Ave website. You also must be a US citizen, aged over 18, and have a valid social security number. College Ave does have a minimum credit requirement and accepts cosigners for borrowers who don’t meet those terms, but it’s difficult to discover what the specific credit rating and income requirements are. In general, you’ll need a credit rating of 680 or more to qualify for refinancing. College Ave doesn’t charge any application or origination fees and does offer no-commitment quotes, so you can apply and then consider your options.
- You must be over 18 years of age
- You must have graduated from an eligible Title IV school
- You must have at least $5,000 of student loan debt
- You need to meet minimum credit and income requirements or bring in a cosigner who does
College Ave offers your choice of repayment terms of anything between 5 and 15 years. Although some lenders have longer terms, College Ave is remarkable for letting you choose any term length between those maximum and minimum options. College Ave’s APR rates begin at 3% for variable rates and 3.75% for fixed rates, and go up to 7.2% for variable rates and 7.75% for fixed rates. If you pay using auto-pay, you'll get a 0.25% discount on your rates, and borrowers with a Nationwide checking or savings account enjoy another 0.25% discount.
How Safe is It?
Help & Support
College Ave offers customer support via email and telephone. There is a range of email addresses and phone numbers to use, depending on whether you are applying for a student loan or a refinance loan, or are already repaying a student, graduate, or parent loan or a refinance loan. The email address for general inquiries is email@example.com. Phone lines are open from 9am to 8pm from Monday to Friday for new applicants, or from 8am to 6pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, and until 7pm on Tuesdays for existing College Ave customers.
Deep Dive into Pros and Cons
The overall quality of service College Ave provides is excellent, but certain areas of its offerings could be improved:
- The company is still not affiliated with all learning institutions in the country, meaning that some schools may not meet funding requirements
- The company does not service the loans it extends, meaning that support may vary
- No federal student loan programs such as FAFSA are available
- Loan repayment terms could be extended to cover longer durations
Even with some areas for improvement, many of the company’s characteristics put College Ave head and shoulders above the competition:
- It's customizability for loans is at the head of the industry
- The application process takes only a few minutes
- Repayment periods offer more flexibility to students and professionals
- Borrowers can choose when and how to start repaying their debt, lowering their long-term obligations
- No prepayment penalties encourage and reward quicker loan repayment
Overall, College Ave offers an easy to use and flexible approach to student loan refinancing. The high maximum loan amounts and flexible repayment terms are attractive to every graduate, and the fast online application process and response time without any application or origination fees mean that you have nothing to lose by applying. For borrowers with Nationwide accounts who plan to pay using auto-pay, the rates are particularly competitive.
College Ave Student Loans 1
105 N Market Street