How to Choose The Best Pet Insurance for Cats
Although you want to keep your cat insurance costs down, the policy with the lowest premiums might not be the best option or even the cheapest. If you're paying low premiums, you might have to pay much higher deductibles or face a lower reimbursement level. It's also important to check the annual limit of each policy, which is the maximum that the insurer will pay out in any given year. These are all important issues to bear in mind when you look for the best insurance for your cat.
5 Best Pet Insurance Companies for Cats
If you’re looking for the right cat insurance, we’re here to help. We’ve collected the 5 best cat insurance companies so that you can easily compare the advantages of each one and choose the one that suits your pet’s needs.
|Pet's Best||From $0|
|ASPCA||$100 to $500||Up to 90%|
|Embrace||$100 to $1,000|
|Hartville||$100 to $500|
|PetPlan||$100 to $500|
Pet's Best makes it easy to get exactly the right level of coverage for your cat because you can adjust your deductible, reimbursement level, and annual limit. Pet's Best allows you to add on policies for wellness checkups, exam fees, prescription medicines, rehabilitation costs, and alternative treatments like chiropractor and acupuncture, or you can pick an accident-only plan to keep the costs down. Pet's Best will pay out no matter which vet you visit, and there's a 24/7 worldwide preapproval hotline to make it easy to check that treatment is covered. Pet's Best settles insurance claims fast, with most claims paid out within 5 days.
- Best for: Fast claims payment
- Deductibles: Customizable from $0
- Reimbursement: 70%-90% of claims
- Annual limits: $5,000 for most plans, or you can pay extra for unlimited
- Monthly costs start at:
|Accident-Only||EssentialWellness add-on plan||BestWellness add-on plan|
The Pet's Best Accident and Illness plans pays your actual vet bill for unexpected incidents. With multiple levels of coverage, the plans can be customized to meet your budget and your furry friend. The EssentialWellness and BestWellness plans pay up to a minimum amount (with BestWellness paying slightly more) for routine care, such as teeth cleaning, flea prevention and microchipping.
Here's a sample of the monthly costs for a 2-year old neutered male with no previous illnesses for the most popular plans Pet's Best offers:
- Coverage: Accident and illness; cancer treatments; congenital and hereditary conditions; behavioral issues; dental treatments; travel coverage; prosthetics; euthanasia. Wellness checkups, alternative therapies, exam fees, rehabilitation, and prescription medications can be added for an extra fee.
- What's not covered: Pre exisiting conditions, elective or preventative care such as nail trimming, declawing.
- Age limit: From 7 weeks old, no upper limit
- Fast claim settlement
- No upper age limit
- Low-cost accident-only plans
- Low annual limit on some plans
- Wellness checkups are an add-on
ASPCA's cat insurance will cover some of the most advanced medical treatments for animals, including things like stem cell therapy and acupuncture for cancer. You can choose your level of coverage, from an all-inclusive, comprehensive policy to a low-cost, accident-only cat insurance plan, and decide whether or not to include coverage for preventive care and dental care. What's great is that once you meet your deductible amount, you won't have to pay it for any other claims in the same year.
- Best for: Coverage for advanced treatments
- Deductibles: From $100 to $500
- Reimbursement: 70%, 80%, or 90%
- Annual limits: From $5,000 up
- Monthly costs: Costs are customized based on your pet and the plan you choose. Here is the sample monthly cost for a 2-year old neutered male with no previous illnesses
|Complete Coverage||Accident-Only Coverage|
- Coverage: Accident and illness; surgery; diagnostics; cancer treatments; wellness care; behavioral; dental treatments; alternative therapies; hereditary conditions
- What's not covered: Cosmetic procedures, breeding costs, pre-existing conditions
- Age limit: From 8 weeks
- Flexible deductibles, reimbursement level, and annual limit
- Deductible is calculated yearly, not per incident
- Advanced therapies are included
- Wellness care is an add-on cost
- No fast pre-approval line
- Accident-only coverage is still quite high
Embrace stands out for offering coverage for a wide range of congenital and hereditary disorders. It’s also got the best ratings for its customer service of all pet insurance companies. Embrace’s cat insurance policies cover a wide range of needs, including rehabilitation, prosthetics, and alternative therapies. Embrace offers discounts if your cat is neutered or spayed, if you pay for a year upfront, or if you are a veteran. You can visit any vet and still access cat insurance with Embrace.
- Best for: Purebred cats at risk from breed-specific diseases
- Deductibles: From $100 to $1,000
- Reimbursement: 70%, 80% or 90%
- Annual limits: $3,000 to $15,000
- Monthly costs: Costs are customized to your pet and the plan you prefer. Here is a sample monthly costs for a 2-year old neutered male with no previous illnesses
|Accident and Illness||Wellness Rewards|
- Coverage: Accident, illness, rehabilitation, prosthetics, prescription medication, behavioral therapy, chronic and congenital diseases, exam fees, alternative treatments, dental treatment
- What's not covered: Routine vet care (unless you have the Wellness plan), pre-existing conditions, breeding and pregnancy, injury caused deliberately by someone in your home, cosmetic procedures, DNA testing
- Age limit: Up to 14 years
- Covers all breed-specific disorders
- Many discounts available
- Excellent customer service
- Low annual limit
- Wellness care is not included in the policies
- Less flexibility for deductibles and annual limits
Hartville offers flexible cat insurance policies that can range from accident-only to include advanced diagnostics and treatment and also preventive care. You can choose your annual coverage limit, deductible, and reimbursement level.
- Best for: Simple cat insurance plans
- Deductibles: $100, $250, $5,000
- Reimbursement: 70%, 80%, 90%
- Annual limits: $5,000 to unlimited
- Monthly costs: Here's the sample monthly costs for a 2-year old neutered male with no previous illnesses:
|Accident Only||Complete coverage|
- Coverage: Advanced diagnostics, treatments, preventive care, exam fees, behavioral issues, hereditary diseases, dental treatment
- What's not covered: Pre-existing conditions
- Age limit: From 8 weeks
- Flexible deductibles and annual limits
- Use any vet in the country
- Easy insurance approval process
- You’ll have to pay separately for preventive care
- Deductibles can be very high
- Premiums are relatively high
Petplan offers just one, customizable cat insurance plan that lets you choose the right level of coverage, deductible, and annual limit for your pet. Petplan makes it easy to file a claim through the Petplan app, without needing any paper forms or phone calls. Petplan allows you to visit any vet in the country, and your coverage begins immediately on the day after you’ve been approved for insurance—there’s no long gap between approval and coverage.
- Best for: Fast insurance coverage
- Deductibles: $100 - $2,500
- Reimbursement: 70%-90%
- Annual limits: $2,500 plus
- Monthly costs: PetPlan offers one customizable plan with varrying deductables, reimbursements and limits. Sample monthly costs for a 2-year old neutered male with no previous illnesses: $19.66
- Coverage: Accidents, injuries, illness, cancer treatment, exam fees, non-routine dental treatment, rehabilitation, prescription medication, alternative therapies
- What's not covered: Wellness and routine care, pre-existing conditions
- Age limit: 6 months and up
- Coverage begins the next business day—no waiting period
- Advanced diagnostics are covered
- No need to visit in-network vets
- No coverage for wellness care
- Doesn’t include behavioral issues
So, Is Cat Insurance Worth it?
It's impossible to state which is the best cat insurance for every cat since each pet is different, but having an insurance plan will surely save you money and can save your pet's life. You'll need to consider about how often your cat goes outside, if his or her nature is more mischievous or calm, his or her age and breed, and if you have any hazards nearby, like a neighboring cat who likes to fight your pet. If your cat tends to stay indoors all the time, it might not be worth paying for full comprehensive coverage. On the other hand, if you have an outdoor cat that keeps picking fights, you'll want all the cat insurance you can get--it will surely pay off. Cat insurance is a no brainer, but which cat insurance policy you buy definitely is a choice. Whether you choose a full-featured, comprehensive feline insurance policy that covers every possible incident, or an accident-only cat insurance plan that’s just for emergencies, pick the right one with the help of our cat insurance company reviews.