In a Nutshell
- Works with any licensed vet in US or Canada
- Wider-than-average range of deductibles
- 5% discount when enrolling multiple pets
- Pets aged 9+ only eligible for accident-only coverage
- No exotic pets
PetPartners at a Glance
PetPartners has been providing comprehensive, affordable pet health insurance to dogs and cats of all ages and breeds in the U.S. since 2002. Prior to its arrival in the U.S., PetPartners served as the exclusive pet insurance provider of the Kennel Club of Great Britain dating back to the 1980’s. PetPartners now serves as the exclusive pet insurance provider of the American Kennel Club. PetPartners offers Accident and Illness Coverage, Accident Only Coverage and optional add-on benefits for things like preventative and wellness care, exam fees and inherited conditions. Their plans are all customizable allowing pet owners to choose the coverage and limits that fit their needs and budget. In applicable states, PetPartners also offers employer group discounts on pet health insurance.
What Does PetPartners Cover?
PetPartners provides coverage for accidents and illness. It sells optional add-ons for things like routine care and wellness, exam coverage, inherited conditions and final respects coverage.
Accident and Illness coverage encompasses the following:
- Laboratory tests and diagnostics
- X-rays, ultrasound, MRI, and CAT scan
- Physical Therapy
- Prescription medication
- Alternative & Holistic Care
- Behavioral Treatment
- Emergency Care
Coverage for the following can be purchased with optional endorsements:
- Veterinary exams
- Inherited and congenital conditions
- Wellness and preventive care, including wellness exams, flea and tick prevention, heartworm prevention, vaccinations dental cleanings, and spaying/neutering
- Burial, cremation, memorials
Insurance Plans & Pricing
PetPartners offers Accident Only and Accident and Illness coverage to dogs and cats. Newly enrolled dogs and cats aged 9 or older, are eligible for Accident Only coverage. Accident and Illness coverage comes in 2 forms: a basic, low-premium policy with fixed $100 deductible, 80% reimbursement, $500 incident limit, and an unlimited annual limit; as well as a custom policy that pet families can customize to fit the needs of their pet and budget. Pet families can choose from a variety of deductibles, reimbursement options, annual limits and optional add-on benefits.
Optional benefits include: ExamCare, covering the cost of exam fees for a sick or injured pet, for around $5/month; Wellness Coverage, that includes various routine and preventative care expenses, from $17 to $29/month; coverage for inherited and congenital conditions and final respects coverage that includes benefits to ease in the passing of your beloved family members.
Prices vary by age, breed, level of deductible, reimbursement, and policy limits. Pricing also varies by zip-code.
The following table shows the price of Accident and Illness coverage, using the examples of a Labrador retriever, age 4 and age 8 and common/domestic short-haired cat, age 4 and 8 in California and Illinois. The tables show what happens when deductible, reimbursement, or policy limit are raised or lowered and the difference between zip codes. On average $30-$50 dollars a month provides solid comprehensive coverage for most breeds and ages of pets.
PetPartners offers a 5% discount for covering multiple pets and a 30-day money-back guarantee in all applicable states.
The table compares 3 pricing scenarios in two different states:
- Option A is custom coverage with $100 deductible, 80% reimbursement, $1,500 incident limit, and unlimited annual limit in California, using zip code 90711.
- Option A1 is custom coverage with $100 deductible, 80% reimbursement, no incident limit and unlimited annual limit in Illinois, using zip code 60004.
- Option B is a less expensive form of custom coverage with $1,000 deductible, 80% reimbursement, $1,500 incident limit, and $3,000 annual limit In California, using zip code 90711.
- Option B1 is a less expensive form of custom coverage with $1000 deductible, 80% reimbursement, no incident limit and $2,500 annual limit in Illinois, using zip code 60004.
- Option C is the most expensive form of custom coverage with $100 deductible, 90% reimbursement, $3,000 incident limit, and unlimited annual limit in California, using zip code 90711.
- Option C1 is a more expensive form of custom coverage with $100 deductible, 90% reimbursement, no incident limit and an unlimited annual limit in Illinois, using zip code 60004.
Obviously, we couldn’t fit every breed into the one table, but the good news is it takes only a few seconds to get an online quote from PetPartners. Just provide your pet’s name, breed, age, and your zip code and email address to get an instant quote. Visit PetPartners website to enroll.
What is Not Covered
Like most pet insurance providers, there are many things PetPartners won’t cover. However, many of their listed exclusions can be added to the plan through optional add-on benefits. Some exclusions are:
- Pre-existing conditions
- Elective, cosmetic, grooming, bathing, and nail clipping
- Treatment or diagnostics of any condition related to breeding, pregnancy, whelping, and nursing
- House calls, travel time, boarding, and/or transportation
PetPartners custom coverage has a 2-day waiting period for accidents and a 14-day waiting period for illnesses. This means your pet’s coverage only becomes active that many days after the date of enrollment. A small number of conditions, such as IVDD (Intervertebral Disc Disease) have a 180-day waiting period.
Customers may choose an annual coverage limit ranging from $2,500-unlimited. Like other pet insurers, PetPartners premium increases for unlimited coverage because this allows the customer an unlimited amount of reimbursements in the event their pet needs extensive treatment.
Reimbursement and Deductibles
PetPartners offers more deductible options than most of its competitors, with 8 deductible options ranging from $100 to $1,000. They offer 3 options for reimbursements: 70%, 80% or 90%. It’s worth noting that PetPartners doesn’t offer customized plans for all pets. Newly Enrolled dogs and cats aged 9 or older can only enroll in Accident Only coverage, which comes with a fixed $100 deductible, incident limit of $3,000, and annual limit, of $11,000. PetPartners is one of the only pet insurance providers to offer coverage for senior pets. Dogs and cats with Accident and Illness coverage before the age of 9 will continue that coverage for their lifetime.
Claims and Service
Like most insurers, PetPartners lets its customers submit claims through customer portal, email, fax, or mail. They promise to reimburse for covered costs within 5 days on the receipt of a complete claim.
What You Might Like Best About PetPartners
PetPartners’ base plans are more cost effective than we’ve seen from most other insurers. For example, you can purchase coverage for your cat for less than $5 per month, provided you’re willing to pay a $1,000 deductible. A combination of $1,000 deductible and unlimited annual coverage is cheaper per month than the cost of a cup of coffee and gives you the peace of mind that you won’t go broke if your pet breaks a bone or gets sick.
What PetPartners Could do Better
We would like to see more coverage options for senior pets from PetPartners.
How PetPartners Compares:
$100 - $1,000
$50 - $1,000
$100 - $500
$200 - $1,000
Contact Details and Address
PetPartners, Inc. is based in Raleigh, North Carolina. Customer support staff are available during regular US business hours by toll-free number or live chat.
8051 Arco Corporate Drive
Suite 350, Raleigh NC